Jan 15, 2009

10 Tips for Better Email Marketing in 2009

10 Tips for Better Email Marketing in 2009 thumbnail

If you’re an email marketer, Stefan Pollard at Clickz posted YOUR New Years resolutions in his post, Ten Resolutions to Make 2009 a Better Email Year.

Here’s a quick overview of his 10 tips, but check out the original article if you want full details.

1. I Will Listen to Feedback - Feedback helps build better programs. When you understand what your audience wants, and what they don’t, you can deliver on those items.

  • Sign up for all ISP feedback-loop sources.
  • Monitor replies to inboxes, even those you tell readers not to e-mail.
  • Solicit and read reader comments.
  • Send surveys for direct comments on specific topics.

2. I Will Give My Subscribers More Control Over What They Receive

  • Provide meaningful choices during the subscription process (avoid all conjunctions).
  • Use a preference center to make personalization or customization easier.
  • Collect only data you need to complete the process at opt-in.

3. I Will Monitor More Than Open/Click-Through Rates/Revenue - Track unsubscribes, bounces, and spam complaints as well as open and click rates.

4. I Will Practice More Segmentation for Increased Relevance- Set aside one day a month as “segmentation day,” where your goal is to “do incrementally better e-mail.” For example, identify a subset of your list and tell an incrementally better story to it. You shouldn’t need complex data integrations.

5. I Will Practice Good List Hygiene and Trim Inactives - Optimize your sign-up process to collect more accurate data.

6. I Will Pay Attention to the ISPs - Visit ISP postmaster sites regularly to learn about changes that affect delivery and get information to make you a better e-mail marketer.

7. I Will Work to Send Great Content - Not “great” as in “exciting,” although that would be nice. Instead, write content that works: no broken links, correct spelling, punctuation, and word use and images used properly.

8. I Will Make it Easy for Recipients to Know Who I Am - You want recipients to recognize you immediately in the inbox.

9. I Will Be More Careful About Whose E-mail Efforts I Emulate We assume that companies with top brands, or brands we admire, also do e-mail marketing right. So, we copy what they do, but Hhnestly, most of them aren’t doing great e-mail, either.

10. I Will Banish the Word “Blast” From my Vocabulary

LIVE SEO NEWS © 2008.

TOPO